Thursday, July 31, 2008

What makes you an entrepreneur ?

That's the one million dollar question ! What is entrepreneurship, and is there a typical profile to be a business creator ? Why some people will become entrepreneurs and why some others will never have the courage to quit the position they have since 20 years and set up their own business ?

This is a very personnal feeling from a small IT company boss, but I am pretty sure most of the entrepreneurs will agree with me. First of all I think you know you are an entrepreneur. I, when I was a student, have always known that I wanted to own my business. I knew that I will never be an employee all my life and that I needed to create something on my own.
And it did not take too long, after 1 year as an employee in an international american consulting company, I decided to quit to set up my business.

So I would say that entrepreneurship is first of all the strong willing to own a company, even the smallest one.

Then, I would say that an entrepreneur is somebody who wants to create something, and therefore to participate to the economy growth, even at a very small scale. When I take a look at my company, I am of course very proud (who would not be ?), but I think this pride comes from the fact that I participate to the world's evolution, and also to my country's evolution. Nationalism can be a very strong leverage to success !

So secondly, I would say that an entrepreneur is driven by a strong will to create new things and participate.


Be independant, have no boss. I think this is a real state of mind. Now that I have set up my business, I know that I will never, never be an employee again. This independancy feeling, I have never felt it so much but when I created my company. Of course, you always need to deal with your clients, but that is a supplier-customer relationship, which is totaly different from an employee-manager one.

So third, an entrepreneur is someone who wants to be independant and have no boss. He wants to be the boss.


Last but not least, an entrepreneur wants to set up a successful business. To earn good money of course, but also to feel he has been successful. I love success, I hate failure. I feel happy when I have been successful setting up a new thing, and I am raging if I fail, because I think I have not been capable of it. Of course we need failure to learn, and that makes me more eagger to succeed the next time.

So finaly, entrepreneurs want to be successful.

Here we are ! If you have recognized yourself in this description and that you are still an employee, you need to quit your job now ! Of course, you also need the idea, the business plan the funds and so on, but don't forget : there is no bad business, there are just bad run businesses...

No comments: